Proof of Citizenship for U.S. Citizens
If you were born in the United States, you are already a U.S. citizen (unless you were born to parents who were in the United States in a diplomatic capacity for a foreign country). If you were born outside of the United States and either one or both of your parents are or were U.S. citizens (by birth or naturalization), you may already be a U.S. citizen. You may apply for a Certificate of Citizenship that will serve as proof of your status.
You are a U.S. citizen if you have a:
- Birth certificate showing birth in the United States;
- Form N-550, Certificate of Naturalization;
- Form N-560, Certificate of Citizenship;
- Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of United States Citizen; or
- Valid unexpired U.S. passport.
If you were born overseas, do not have any of the above documents, and believe that you are already a U.S. citizen, you can apply to the U.S. Department of State for a U.S. passport. A passport is evidence of citizenship and also serves as a travel document if you need to travel. For information about applying for a U.S. passport, go to the U.S. Department of State website.
If you were previously issued a Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization and need to obtain a replacement, you should file a Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document.
How to File
You may apply online or by paper.
Create a USCIS online account to file online and:
- Submit evidence and pay fees electronically;
- Receive case status updates about your case and see complete case history;
- Communicate with us securely and directly; and
- Respond to requests for evidence.
If you already have a USCIS online account, simply sign into your account to get started.
File by Paper
- Read the instructions for Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship
- Complete and sign your Form N-600;
- Pay the filing fees, if applicable; and
- Provide all required evidence and supporting documentation.
Want status updates about your case? Learn how to create a USCIS online account to stay informed.
After You File
Once we receive your form, you will receive a:
- Receipt notice confirming we received your application;
- Biometric services notice, if applicable;
- Notice to appear for an interview, if required; and
- Notice of our decision.