I-765V, Application for Employment Authorization for Abused Nonimmigrant Spouse

Certain abused nonimmigrant spouses may use Form I-765V to request an employment authorization document (EAD). You may file for employment authorization if you are, or were, the abused spouse of a nonimmigrant who was admitted under INA section 101(a)(15)(A), (E)(iii), (G), or (H) [admitted in A, E-3, G, or H nonimmigrant status], and you either accompanied or followed to join your abusive nonimmigrant spouse.

Number of Pages

Form 6; Instructions 10

Edition Date

01/19/17. A new edition of this form is coming soon. In the meantime, you may file using the 01/19/17 edition. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.

Dates are listed in mm/dd/yy format.

Where to File

For U.S. Postal Service, express mail, and courier deliveries:

USCIS Vermont Service Center
Attn: Humanitarian Division
75 Lower Welden Street
St. Albans, VT 05479-0001

Sign the form at Part 4, Item Number 6.a., Applicant’s Signature. The fillable version of Form I-765V includes a “Don’t forget to sign!” message and an arrow pointing to the signature box as a reminder for when you print the completed form for mailing. If there is no signature, USCIS will reject the form and return it for correction and re-filing.

Filing Fee

$0 (Biometrics services may be required at no cost to the applicant.)

Checklist of Required Initial Evidence (for informational purposes only)

Please do not submit this checklist with your Form I-765V. It is an optional tool to use as you prepare your form, but does not replace statutory, regulatory, and form instruction requirements. We recommend that you review these requirements before completing and submitting your form. Do not send original documents unless specifically requested in the form instructions or applicable regulations.

If you submit any documents (copies or original documents, if requested) in a foreign language, you must include a full English translation along with a certification from the translator verifying that the translation is complete and accurate, and that they are competent to translate from the foreign language to English. 

Did you provide the following?

  • Evidence of your qualifying nonimmigrant status
  • A copy of any documentation establishing your identity and current nationality
  • Evidence of your spouse’s qualifying nonimmigrant status
  • Evidence of your qualifying relationship to your spouse
  • Evidence of the abuse
  • Two identical color passport-style photographs 

If you are renewing your Employment Authorization Document, did you provide the following?

  • Two identical color passport-style photographs
  • Evidence of your current residence in the United States
  • Evidence the principal nonimmigrant maintains valid immigration status under INA section 101(a)(15)(A), (E)(iii), (G), or (H) on the date you filed your renewal application
  • Evidence of previous employment authorizations issued under INA section 106

NOTE: If you cannot provide copies of the documentation requested above, you must submit a signed statement or any other credible evidence that explains why you cannot provide the documentation.

Special Instructions

Note to Applicants: Employment authorization is a benefit granted for a limited period of time and will not establish eligibility for or extend your lawful status in the United States. Receiving an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) will have no effect on your immigration status.

Related Links

Last Reviewed/Updated: