I-942, Request for Reduced Fee
Use this form to request a reduced filing fee for Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, if your documented annual household income is greater than 150% but not more than 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines at the time you file.
If you qualify for a reduced filing fee, you must still pay the full biometric services fee along with the reduced fee.
A reduced fee is not the same as a fee waiver. Please see our Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver, page for information about fee waivers.
12/20/23. Starting March 25, we will only accept the 12/20/23 edition. Until then, you can also use the 12/02/21 and 02/13/19 editions. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.
Dates are listed in mm/dd/yy format.
If you complete and print this form to mail it, make sure that the form edition date and page numbers are visible at the bottom of all pages and that all pages are from the same form edition. If any of the form’s pages are missing or are from a different form edition, we may reject your form.
If you need help downloading and printing forms, read our instructions.
Mail your completed Form N-400, Form I-942, the fees, and all supporting documentation together to USCIS according to the “Where to File” instructions on our Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, page.
Do not submit your Form I-942 without a completed Form N-400. You cannot submit Form I-942 after we have received your Form N-400.
You must submit the reduced fee ($320) and the biometrics fee ($85) for your Form N-400 along with your Form I-942.
Complete all sections of the form.
Filing Tips: Review our Tips for Filing Forms by Mail page for information on how to ensure we will accept your form.
Don’t forget to sign your form. We will reject and return any unsigned form.
- You cannot file online if you are requesting a reduced fee; you must file a paper Form N-400.
- To determine whether you are eligible to file Form I-942, use Form I-942P, Income Guidelines for Reduced Fees.
- A legal guardian may sign for a person with a physical disability or mental impairment.
- If you submit documentation containing information in a foreign language, you must include a full English translation. The translator must sign a certification that the English language translation is complete and accurate, and that they are competent to translate from the foreign language into English.
- Please read our Additional Information on Filing a Reduced Fee Request page.