N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service

This form is used by an applicant for naturalization to request that the Department of Defense verify the applicant's military or naval service.

Number of Pages

Form 4; Instructions 3.

Edition Date

07/25/17. We will publish a new edition of this form soon. In the meantime, you may file using the 07/2517 edition. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.

Where to File

Return the form to the office which requested the certification.

Don’t forget to sign your form! We will reject any unsigned form.

Filing Fee


Special Instructions

Please read the instructions carefully to complete Form N-426. You can also read our M-599, Naturalization Information for Military Personnel (PDF, 252 KB) brochure.

If you are currently serving in the U.S. armed forces, you must submit a signed and certified Form N-426 with your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. Your Form N-426 must be certified by your commanding officer or other individual authorized to certify the form. NOTE: Recruiters are not authorized to certify Form N-426.

If you previously served in the U.S. armed forces, you must submit a copy of Form DD214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or NGB Form 22, National Guard Report of Separation and Record of Service, for any periods of service you have completed. You may submit an uncertified Form N-426 as long as the DD214 or NGB 22 cover all applicable periods of service and list the type of separation and character of service.

Last Reviewed/Updated: