Appeals Resources

Filing Information


The following are the most commonly used forms with regard to the Administrative Appeals Office (AAO):

  • Form I-290B Notice of Appeal or Motion (Do not send forms or fees directly to the AAO.)
  • Form I-694 Notice of Appeal of Decision Under Section 210 or 245A of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)
  • Form G-28 Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Accredited Representative
  • Form AR-11 Alien’s Change of Address Card
Where to File

Where to File an Appeal or Motion With the Administrative Appeals Office (AAO)

Do not send forms or fees directly to the AAO. You must file your appeal or motion to the correct filing address indicated on the Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-290B, Notice of Appeal or Motion page for your specific benefit type.

If you will be filing a brief within 30 days, you may indicate that on the appeal. Extensions of deadlines for briefs may be granted under appropriate circumstances. Briefs submitted after the filing of the appeal must be sent directly to the AAO as indicated on the Contacting the AAO webpage.

NOTE: Motions must include any briefs or additional evidence at the time of filing. 

AAO Processing Requests

Requests for Expedited Processing

The AAO generally processes appeals in the order it receives them, but it will review expedite requests on a case-by-case basis.  To request expedited processing, please mail or fax a written request to the AAO.  The cover letter should clearly say “EXPEDITE REQUEST,” and the request should include documentary evidence to support the claimed need for expedited processing.  More information on how to make an expedite request can be found on the USCIS website at

Requests for Oral Argument

The AAO generally adjudicates decisions based on the record of proceeding without oral argument.  However, the AAO may grant a written request for oral argument where a case involves an issue of law or fact of particular significance and the AAO determines that it would benefit from supplemental argument. Oral argument is granted at the discretion of the AAO.

The petitioner must request oral argument in writing either at the time the Form I-290B or Form I-694 is filed or at the time a supporting brief is filed. The request “must explain in writing specifically why oral argument is necessary.”  

If a request is approved, the AAO will notify the petitioner of the time, date, place, and conditions of the oral argument.  If the request for oral argument is denied, the AAO will notify the petitioner in the AAO’s written disposition of the appeal, motion, or certification.

Requests for a Copy of the Record of Proceeding

You may obtain a copy of the record of proceeding through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request. For information on how to make a FOIA request, please visit the USCIS FOIA webpage. We generally will not take action on a case while a FOIA request is pending. However, filing a FOIA request does not extend timeframes, such as deadlines for filing appeals or motions, responding to requests for additional evidence or notices of intent to dismiss, or submitting briefs or supplemental evidence.

Quick Links

Last Reviewed/Updated: