I-290B, Notice of Appeal or Motion

Use this form to file:

  • An appeal with the Administrative Appeals Office (AAO); 
  • A motion with the USCIS office that issued the latest decision in your case (including a field office, service center, or the AAO); or
  • Certain appeals of the denial of an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Form I-17, Petition for Approval of School for Attendance by Nonimmigrant Student, with the ICE Student and Exchange Visitor Program.

Do not use this form if you:

Forms and Document Downloads

Form Details

Edition Date

12/02/19. We will publish a new edition of this form soon. In the meantime, you may continue using the 12/02/19 edition despite the expiration date. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.

Dates are listed in mm/dd/yy format.

Where to File

File your appeal or motion at the appropriate address listed on our Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-290B, Notice of Appeal or Motion page. Do not file Form I-290B directly with the Administrative Appeals Office. 

Filing Tips for Form I-290B, Notice of Appeal or Motion

You must file a separate Form I-290B for each motion or appeal. If you submit other immigration benefit requests with your Form I-290B, you must include a separate filing fee (or submit a fee waiver request) for each additional form you file. If you submit one payment for multiple benefit requests, we may reject your request.

Complete all sections of the form that apply to you. We will reject the form if it is the incorrect version, if the fee is incorrect or not paid, or if the following fields are left blank:

  • Part 1 – Information About the Applicant or Petitioner
    • Family Name or Complete Name of Business/Organization
    • Mailing Address
    • Note:  If you are the beneficiary of a revoked Form I-140 with a favorably adjudicated porting request, and we have advised you that you may file an appeal using Form I-290B, provide the information about you in Part 1.
  • Part 2 – Information About the Appeal or Motion
    • You must select only one box indicating that you are filing an appeal or motion, not both. If you select more than one box, we may reject your filing.

Go to our Form Filing Tips page for information on how to help ensure we will accept your form.

Don’t forget to sign your form. We will reject any unsigned form.

For additional filing help, please visit the AAO Practice Manual.

Filing Fee

You may pay the fee with a money order, personal check, or cashier’s check.  When filing at a USCIS lockbox facility, you may also pay by credit card using Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions. If you pay by check, you must make your check payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Service centers cannot process credit card payments.

When you send a payment, you agree to pay for a government service. Filing and biometric service fees are final and non-refundable, regardless of any action we take on your application, petition, or request, or if you withdraw your request. Use our Fee Calculator to help determine your fee.

If you are a special immigrant Iraqi or Afghan national who worked for or on behalf of the U.S. government, you do not need to pay a fee when you file Form I-290B to appeal a denial of a petition for a special immigrant visa.

Special Instructions

E-Notification: If you want to receive an e-mail and/or a text message that your Form I-290B has been accepted at a USCIS Lockbox facility, complete Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, and clip it to the first page of your form.

Related Links
Last Reviewed/Updated: