Greece - USCIS Athens Field Office

Archived Content

The information on this page is out of date. However, some of the content may still be useful, so we have archived the page.

ALERT: USCIS issued guidance (PDF, 315.53 KB), effective Feb 1, 2020, delegating authority to the Department of State (DOS) to accept and adjudicate a Form I-130 filed by a U.S. citizen petitioner for an immediate relative if the petitioner establishes exceptional circumstances or falls under blanket authorization criteria defined by USCIS. This guidance, which applies even in countries with a USCIS presence, can be found in the USCIS Policy Manual, Volume 6, Part B Chapter 3.

As of Feb. 1, 2020, USCIS will no longer accept and adjudicate routine Form I-130 petitions at its remaining international field offices. Petitioners residing overseas who are unable to file with DOS must file Form I-130 by mail with the USCIS lockbox facility in Dallas or online using the USCIS website.

After Sept. 30, the USCIS Athens Field Office will no longer process Form N-400, Form N-600, or Form N-600K for overseas military personnel and qualified family members. After Sept. 30, the USCIS Frankfurt Field Office will assume responsibility for these cases.

New N-400, N-600, or N-600K Cases Filed After Athens Field Office Closure:

Please review the USCIS filing instructions on our website at and You must file these forms with the appropriate USCIS Lockbox facilities.

N-400, N-600, and N-600K Cases Currently Pending with the USCIS Athens Field Office:

If the USCIS Athens Field Office is unable to complete adjudication of pending applications before the office closes in November, it will transfer the pending cases to the USCIS Frankfurt Field Office to complete processing and issue a Form I-797C, Notice of Action, to document the transfer. Please refer to the Notice of Action for additional information or contact the Frankfurt Field Office.

USCIS has a toll-free military help line, 877-CIS-4MIL (877-247-4645), TTY (800) 877-8339, and email address at exclusively for current members of the military and their families as well as veterans. Our representatives are available to answer calls Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Central), excluding federal holidays.

Members of the U.S. armed forces and their families stationed in the U.S. or overseas may access the help line using the toll-free number through their base telephone operator or using the Defense Switched Network (DSN).

USCIS permanently closed its field office in Athens, Greece, on Nov. 15, 2019.  The U.S. Embassy Greece in Athens will assume responsibility for certain limited services previously provided by USCIS to individuals residing in Greece (see the table below).

Beginning Oct. 1, 2019, individuals who were previously assisted by the USCIS Athens Field Office (which includes individuals residing in Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Egypt, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Moldova, Oman, Qatar, Romania, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, and Yemen) must follow these filing instructions:

Service/Form Filing Instructions

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

File your petition by mail with the USCIS Dallas Lockbox or online using the USCIS website. You can find additional filing information on the Form I-130 webpage.

If you are a U.S. citizen, the Department of State may accept a petition from you if you are filing for your immediate relative (spouse, unmarried child under the age of 21, or parent (if you are 21 years of age or older) at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in certain limited circumstances, as described in USCIS Policy Manual, Volume 6, Part B, Chapter 3. Please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate having jurisdiction over the area where you live for further information.

Active-Duty Military: If you are an active-duty U.S. citizen service member stationed permanently at a military base overseas, you may file this petition directly with the Department of State at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate without needing to establish exceptional circumstances.

Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant (for Widow(er) petitions only) 

If you reside outside of the United States, you may be able to file at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate having jurisdiction over the area where you live. Please contact them for more information.

Please see the Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant webpage for the most current filing instructions.

Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation) Beginning Nov 1, 2019, if you are a lawful permanent resident (LPR) who has lost your LPR card and/or reentry permit and you need travel documentation to return to the U.S., you can file your Form I-131A with any U.S. embassy consular section.

Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status

Submit your Form I-407 to the USCIS Eastern Forms Center. You can find additional filing information on the Form I-407 web page.

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS):

USCIS Eastern Forms Center
Attn: I-407 Unit
PO Box 567
Williston, VT 05495

For FedEX, UPS, DHL, or other express/registered deliveries:

USCIS Eastern Forms Center
Attn: I-407 Unit
124 Leroy Road
Williston, VT 05495

In very rare circumstances, a U.S. embassy or consulate may allow you to submit a Form I-407 in person if you need immediate proof that you have abandoned your lawful permanent resident status. The most common need for an expedited application is to apply for an A or G visa.

Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition

You must file your petition with the USCIS Nebraska or Texas Service Centers, depending on where the petitioner lives in the United States.

For beneficiary interviews/processing, contact the U.S. embassy consular section in the country where the beneficiary resides.

Form N-400, Application for Naturalization If you are a member of the U.S. military stationed overseas or a designated spouse, please see the Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, page. Call 877-CIS-4MIL (877-247-4645) for the most current filing instructions. 
Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322 For qualified children of active-duty service members stationed abroad, the proper form to file is the Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322.

General information about the U.S. Embassy Greece is available on the embassy website. You may also contact the Embassy by calling 30-210-721-2951 or by mailing:

U.S. Embassy Greece
91 Vasilisis Sophias Ave
10160 Athens, Greece

For information on other immigration benefits, please visit We suggest you use Ask Emma for more details about what you want to accomplish. Many times, you may be able to complete your task online.

Have a question about a pending application or petition? Send USCIS a secure message through your USCIS online account.  Opening an account is easy.

For in-depth information about visas, please check the Visa Services section of the Department of State’s website.

Last Reviewed/Updated: