I-191, Application for Relief Under Former Section 212(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)

Use this form if you are a lawful permanent resident and wish to file for relief under former INA section 212(c).

Congress repealed former INA section 212(c) effective April 1, 1997. However, the U.S. Supreme Court decided in 2001 that the repeal does not apply to lawful permanent residents who pleaded guilty to a crime before April 1, 1997 (INS v. St. Cyr, 533 U.S. 289). In Matter of Abdelghany, 26 I&N Dec. 254 (BIA 2014), the Board of Immigration Appeals held that relief under former INA section 212(c) is also available to otherwise eligible lawful permanent residents, even if they were convicted following a trial before April 1, 1997.

This form was previously titled, “Application for Advance Permission to Return to Unrelinquished Domicile.”

Forms and Document Downloads

Form Details

Edition Date

07/20/21. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.

Dates are listed in mm/dd/yy format.

Where to File

U.S. Postal Service (USPS) and/or FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:

                USCIS TSC
                Attn:  I-191
                6046 N Belt Line Rd. Suite 191
                Irving, TX  75038-0016

Don’t forget to sign your form. We will reject and return any unsigned form.

Filing Fee

When you send a payment, you agree to pay for a government service. Filing and biometric service fees are final and non-refundable, regardless of any action we take on your application, petition, or request, or if you withdraw your request.

Last Reviewed/Updated: