I-212, Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the United States After Deportation or Removal

If you are inadmissible under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) section 212(a)(9)(A) or (C), use this form to ask for consent to reapply for admission to the United States (consent to reapply) so you can lawfully return to the United States. Consent to reapply is also called “permission to reapply.”

Forms and Document Downloads

Form Details

Edition Date

06/09/20. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.

Dates are listed in mm/dd/yy format.

Where to File

Please see our Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-212 page to determine where to file your form.

If you are an applicant filing Form I-212 with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), you can now file electronically through the Electronic Secured Adjudication Forms Environment (e-SAFE). Manual filing will continue to be available in person at CBP designated ports of entry. Search for “Form I-212” or “I-212” on the CBP website for more information if you:

  • Wish to seek admission as a nonimmigrant at a U.S. port of entry but are not required to obtain a nonimmigrant visa; or
  • Are a nonimmigrant visa applicant (other than a K, T, U, or V nonimmigrant) at a U.S. Consulate. 

If you are in removal proceedings, follow the special filing instructions the immigration court gave to you. You should also carefully read the information on our Form I-212 and the Direct Filing Addresses pages. For more information on obtaining immigration benefits while in removal proceedings, see our Immigration Benefits in EOIR Removal Proceedings page.

We only adjudicate applications that are correctly filed with USCIS. We cannot adjudicate applications that must be filed with CBP or the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR).

Filing Tips: Go to our Form Filing Tips page for information on how to help ensure we will accept your form.

Complete all sections of the form. We will reject the form if these fields are missing:

  • Part 1. Information About You
    • Family Name
    • Mailing Address

Don’t forget to sign your form. We will reject any unsigned form.

Filing Fee

When you send a payment, you agree to pay for a government service. Filing and biometric service fees are final and non-refundable, regardless of any action we take on your application, petition, or request, or if you withdraw your request.

If you file at a USCIS Lockbox:  Pay the fee with a money order, personal check, cashier’s check, or by credit card using Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions. If you pay by check, you must make your check payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Use our Fee Calculator to help determine your fee.

If you file at a service center: You cannot pay fees with a credit card. You can only pay with a money order, personal check, or cashier’s check.

If you file at a field office: You cannot pay fees with a money order or cashier’s check when filing at a field office. You can only pay with a personal check, debit card, credit card, or a reloadable prepaid credit/debit card.

If you file your application with CBP: Contact CBP to determine whether you must attend a biometric services appointment. Read the Form I-212 Instructions for more information, or go to CBP’s website (search for “Form I-212” or “I-212”).

If you file your application with EOIR: Read the Form I-212 Instructions and the pre-order filing instructions you receive in court to determine how to submit the payment.

Checklist of Required Initial Evidence (for informational purposes only)
  • Please do not submit this checklist with your Form I-212. It is an optional tool to use as you prepare your form, but does not replace statutory, regulatory, and form instruction requirements. We recommend that you review these requirements before completing and submitting your form. Do not send original documents unless specifically requested in the form instructions or applicable regulations.

    If you submit any documents (copies or original documents, if requested) in a foreign language, you must include a full English translation along with a certification from the translator verifying that the translation is complete and accurate, and that they are competent to translate from the foreign language to English.

    Did you provide the following?

  • Copies of documentation relating to every exclusion, deportation, or removal proceeding initiated against you, including the final order(s) of exclusion, deportation, or removal;
  • Evidence of your relationship to any relatives listed in your application. In addition, if your relative is a U.S. citizen, you must submit proof of their U.S. citizenship. If they are not a U.S. citizen, you must provide their: 
    • Full name; 
    • Date of birth; 
    • Place of birth; 
    • Place of admission to, or entry into, the United States; 
    • Current immigration status; 
    • Immigration status at the time of entry; and
    • A-Number, if known. 
  • Evidence regarding your inadmissibility under INA section 212(a)(9)(c) (if applicable), including: 
    • Your exclusion, deportation, or removal from the United States; 
    • The date you entered or attempted to reenter the United States without being admitted or paroled; 
    • The date of your last departure from the United States; and 
    • Evidence of your absence from the United States for 10 years since your last departure, including:
      • Copies of entry/exit stamps from foreign countries in your passport; 
      • Receipts for, or copies of, airplane tickets; 
      • Registration of your residence abroad; 
      • Utility bills in your name at the residence abroad; 
      • Employment records from your foreign job; and 
      • Any other relevant evidence; and
  • Evidence of favorable and unfavorable factors listed in the form instructions.
Special Instructions

If you want to receive an email and/or text message that we have accepted your Form I-212 at a USCIS lockbox facility, complete Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, and clip it to the first page of your application.

Last Reviewed/Updated: