I-508, Request for Waiver of Certain Rights, Privileges, Exemptions and Immunities

Non-U.S citizens working for a foreign government mission or international organization who are either:

  • Lawful permanent residents; or
  • Nonimmigrants in A, G or E  status who are seeking adjustment of status as permanent residents

Use Form I-508 to waive certain diplomatic rights privileges, exemptions and immunities associated with their occupational status, including any exemption from paying  U.S. income taxes on the salaries paid to them by their foreign governments or organizations. This form complies with Section 247(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Permanent residents in such occupations who do not waive the exemption and who fail to pay their U.S. income taxes may be adjusted to A, G or E status.

Nonimmigrants in A, G or E status who do not waive the exemption and who fail to pay their U.S. income taxes may be unable to adjust status to permanent resident.

Please note: French nationals are covered by a special convention between France and the United States and must submit both Form I-508 and Form I-508F to USCIS.

Number of Pages

Form 5; Instructions 3.

Edition Date

05/26/17. We will publish a new edition of this form soon. In the meantime, you may file using the 05/26/17 edition. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions. 

Where to File

File your Form I-508 with your local USCIS office, unless you are filing it at the same time as an application for a reentry permit (Form I-131).  In this case, you would file Form I-508 with the same USCIS office as the Form I-131.

If you are an applicant for adjustment of status, file this form with the same office as your Form I-485.  

Don’t forget to sign your form!  We will reject any unsigned form. 

Filing Fee


Special Instructions

Related Links

Last Reviewed/Updated: