I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the INA
Purpose of Form
This form is required for most family-based immigrants and some employment-based immigrants to show that they have adequate means of financial support and are not likely to rely on the U.S. government for financial support.
Number of Pages
Form 12; Instructions 16.
07/02/15. We cannot accept previous editions. (The edition date can be found at the bottom of every page on the Form and Instructions.)
Where to File
For information on where to file, see the form instructions and the "Special Instructions" section below.
Additional Information for Completing Your Form:
If you submit Form I-864 on paper: Be sure to sign the form at Part 8, Item Number 6.a., Sponsor’s Signature. The fillable version of Form I-864 now includes “Don’t forget to sign!” messages and an arrow pointing to the signature box as reminders for when you print the completed form for mailing. USCIS rejects any unsigned Form I-864. Having to return it to you for a signature will delay processing of your affidavit.
There is no fee when filed with USCIS or abroad with the Department of State (DOS). DOS does charge a fee when this form is filed in the U.S. For more information, please see the Special Instructions.
- We recommend reading our Lockbox filing tips
- To ensure your Form I-864 is accepted at a Lockbox facility, fill out the form completely and accurately, particularly these required fields:
- Sponsor’s Family name
- Sponsor’s Address
- Sponsor’s Social Security Number
- Sponsor’s Signature
- The new form edition has 2D barcode technology to help us collect information quickly and accurately. As you complete the form electronically, the barcode stores your information.
- Follow the form instructions carefully.
- We recommend downloading the form from our website and completing it electronically.
- If you complete the form by hand, please use black ink, keep your answers within the spaces provided, and do not use correction fluid or highlighters.
- Give the completed form and supporting documents to the immigrant you are sponsoring to file with their Form OF-230 or Form I-485.
- If the National Visa Center mailed you this form to complete, please follow the instructions they provided.
Fees: There is no fee when filed with USCIS or abroad with the Department of State (DOS). DOS does charge a fee when this form is filed in the U.S. For more information, please visit the Department of State website.
This page can be found at https://www.uscis.gov/i-864