Find a Civil Surgeon

Enter your address, city, state, or ZIP code to find a designated civil surgeon near you.

Finding A Designated Civil Surgeon

When you apply for a green card (adjustment of status) in the United States, you are required to undergo an immigration medical examination. The examination must be done by a doctor who is designated by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS designates certain doctors (known as civil surgeons) to perform the immigration medical examination required for most green card applicants. Military physicians are authorized as military blanket designated civil surgeons to perform immigration medical examinations at a military treatment facility within the United States for U.S. veterans, members of the U.S. military and designated dependents.  Additionally, some applicants for adjustment of status are only required to undergo the vaccination portion of the immigration medical examination.   Refugee applicants may be able to visit their local health department to see a health department blanket designated civil surgeon.   These blanket designated civil surgeons will NOT be found on USCIS’ list of civil surgeons, but are authorized to conduct the entire examination, or portions of it.  See USCIS Policy Manual Part C - Civil Surgeon Designation and Revocation for more information on blanket designated civil surgeons

Immigration medical examinations performed outside the United States and its territories must be done by a panel physician. Panel physicians are different from civil surgeons and are appointed by the Department of State. Panel physicians provide immigration medical examinations required as part of visa processing at a U.S. Embassy or consulate abroad and cannot perform the examination for applicants applying for adjustment of status with USCIS.

What To Bring To The Examination

Bring the following to your medical examination:

  • Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record
  • Government-issued photo identification, such as a valid passport or driver’s license. If you are 14 years old or younger, bring identification that shows your name, date and place of birth and parent’s full name. Possible forms of identification include your birth certificate (with an English translation) or an affidavit.
  • Vaccination or immunization record (such as DT, DTP, DTaP, Td, Tdap, OPV, IPV, MMR, Hib, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, varicella, pneumococcal influenza, rotavirus and meningococcal disease, and COVID-19)
  • Health insurance card. You should ask if the civil surgeon accepts your medical plan for immigration medical examinations. Many health insurance plans do not cover all portions of this examination.
  • Payment (check with the civil surgeon’s office about acceptable forms of payment). It may be helpful to call a few civil surgeons to find out how much they charge for the immigration medical examination. Prices can vary by several hundred dollars.

During The Exam

The immigration medical examination entails a review of your medical history and a physical examination.

The civil surgeon will complete a comprehensive examination that will include a review of your medical history and a physical examination. The civil surgeon will also test for communicable diseases such as tuberculosis, syphilis, and gonorrhea, depending on age, as required by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).  CDC sets the requirements for the immigration medical examination in the Technical Instructions for Civil Surgeons | CDC .

After the immigration medical examination, the civil surgeon will complete Form I-693 and seal the form in an envelope for you to submit to USCIS. Make sure you get a copy of the completed Form I-693 for your personal records before the civil surgeon seals the envelope. USCIS will not accept the form if the envelope has been opened or altered.

For full details, please go to

Reporting A Problem

If you have any concerns regarding a civil surgeon’s behavior or actions, contact your state medical board. If you have concerns regarding the immigration medical examination or the I-693, call the USCIS Contact Center.