Change of Country

Alert: On Sept. 29, 2020, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in Immigration Legal Resource Center et al., v. Wolf, et al., 20-cv-05883-JWS, preliminarily enjoined DHS from implementing or enforcing any part of the USCIS Fee Schedule and Changes to Certain Other Immigration Benefit Request Requirements rule (PDF).

While the rule is preliminarily enjoined, we will continue to:

  • Accept USCIS forms with the current editions and current fees; and
  • Use the regulations and guidance currently in place to adjudicate applications and petitions. This includes accepting and adjudicating fee waiver requests as provided under Adjudicator's Field Manual (AFM) Chapters 10.9 (PDF, 2.86 MB) and 10.10 (PDF, 2.86 MB).

For more information, please refer to the Federal Register Notice, dated Jan. 29, 2021.

You may request a change of country at any time. 

While Form I-600A, Form I-600, or Form I-800A is Pending

While Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition, Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, or Form I-800A, Application for Determination of Suitability to Adopt a Child from a Convention Country, is pending:

  • You must notify the USCIS National Benefits Center (NBC) in writing to request a change of country.
  • There is no fee for a change of country before the initial approval of Form I-600A, Form I-600, or Form I-800A.
  • You must submit an updated home study specifying the new country or countries you are recommended to adopt from.
After Approval of Form I-600A or Form I-800A
Change from Orphan to Hague Country, or from Hague to Orphan Country

If you filed Form I-600A and you now wish to pursue an adoption from a country that is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, you must file Form I-800A with fee. Likewise, if you filed Form I-800A and wish to pursue an adoption from a non-Hague country, you must file Form I-600A or Form I-600 concurrent (or combination) filing with fee

Last Reviewed/Updated: