Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security
Share This PageShare This Page PrintPrint

I-612, Application for Waiver of the Foreign Residence Requirement (under Section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as Amended)

Purpose of Form

For certain exchange visitors (J-1 and J-2 visas) and their families to apply for a waiver of the requirement that they reside outside the United States for at least two years prior to returning or leaving the United States.

Number of Pages

Form 8; Instructions 7.

Edition Date

06/22/15. We cannot accept previous editions.  (The edition date can be found at the bottom of every page on the Form and Instructions.)

Where to File

If you are filing Form I-612 for either of the following two reasons:

1. Exceptional hardship to the exchange visitor’s U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse or child; or

2. The exchange visitor’s belief that returning to the country of his or her nationality or last residence would subject him or her to persecution on account of race, religion, or political opinion.

File your form I-612 with the California Service Center:

Via US Postal Service to:

USCIS California Service Center
I-612 Unit P.O. Box 30112
Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-0112

Via courier service to:

USCIS California Service Center
24000 Avila Road
2nd floor, room 2312
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677

If you are filing Form I-612 for one of the following reasons:

1. A request by an interested U.S. Government agency (IGA); or

2. A written statement from your country of nationality or last foreign residence that it has no objection to the waiver (no objection); or

3. A request from a state’s department of public health, or its equivalent, to the Department of State (DOS) to work in a medically underserved area. (Conrad Waiver Program)

Information on how to apply can be found on the Department of State website

Filing Fee


Special Instructions

Do not send Change of Address Requests to the USCIS Lockbox facilities.

This page can be found at

Last Reviewed/Updated: 10/07/2015