N-470, Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes
Use this form if you are a lawful permanent resident who must leave the United States for a period of one year or longer for certain employment purposes and you want to preserve your status as an immigrant in order to pursue naturalization.
“Certain employment purposes” includes working for:
- The U.S. government.
- An entity that is currently recognized by USCIS as an American institution of research.
- An American firm or corporation (or a subsidiary of that firm or corporation) where you engage in developing the foreign trade and commerce of the United States.
- An American firm or corporation engaged in the development of foreign trade and commerce of the United States, where you protect the property rights outside the United States of that American firm or corporation.
- A public international organization of which the United States is a member by treaty or statute.
- A denomination or mission that has a bona fide organization in the United States in which you perform ministerial or priestly functions or your sole role is a clergyman or clergywoman, missionary, brother, nun, or sister.
Note: If you are eligible for naturalization under section 319(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) because you are married to a U.S. citizen working for certain organizations overseas, you are exempt from establishing the naturalization residency and physical presence requirements. Therefore, you are not required to file Form N-470. Please visit uscis.gov/n-400 for more information on applying for naturalization under section 319(b) of the INA.
Number of Pages
Form 7; instructions 9.
12/23/16. No previous editions accepted. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.
Where to File
There is now a single filing address for this form. Do not file this form at a USCIS field office. You must mail your Form N-470 application to the USCIS Lockbox at the address below to avoid processing delays.
For U.S. Postal Service (USPS):
P.O. Box 650809
Dallas, TX 75265
For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:
2501 S. State Hwy.121, Business
Lewisville, TX 75067
Filing Tips for Form N-470, Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes
Complete all sections of the form. We will reject the form if these fields are missing:
- Part 5 – Interpreter’s Contact Information, Certification, and Signature
- Interpreter’s Signature (if applicable)
- Part 6 – Contact Information, Declaration, and Signature of the Person Preparing this Application, if Other Than the Applicant
- Preparer’s Signature (if applicable)
Don’t forget to sign your form! We will reject any unsigned form.
$355. You may pay the fee with a money order, personal check, or cashier’s check. When filing at a USCIS Lockbox facility, you may also pay by credit card using Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions. If you pay by check, you must make your check payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Please note that service centers are not able to process credit card payments.
Attorney or representative: You may be represented, at no expense to the U.S. government, by an attorney or other duly authorized representative. Your representative must submit Form G-28, Notice of Entry or Appearance as Attorney or Representative, with your Form N-470. Your representative may also submit Form G-28 at the time of your interview.