Chapter 4 - Replacement of Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization

The table below serves as a quick reference guide for requests to replace certificates of citizenship or naturalization. The sections and paragraphs that follow the table provide further guidance.

Basis for Requests of Replacement Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization | Form N-565


Correct USCIS Clerical Error

Date of Birth Correction No clerical error

Legal Name Change

Lost or Mutilated Certificate

Legal Gender Change

Certificate of Citizenship

Permitted; no fee required

Permitted if correction through U.S. state court order or similar state vital record (fee required)

Permitted if name change through court order or operation of law (fee required)

Permitted (fee required)

Certificate of Naturalization

Permitted; no fee required

Not permitted (8 CFR 338.5)

Permitted (fee required)

A. General Requests to Replace Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization

In general, an applicant submits to USCIS an Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document (Form N-565) to request a replacement Certificate of Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization. The application must be submitted with the appropriate fee and in accordance with the form instructions. [1] 

A person may request a replacement certificate to replace a lost or mutilated certificate. A person may also request a replacement certificate, without fee, in cases where:

  • USCIS issued a certificate that does not conform to the supportable facts shown on the applicant’s citizenship or naturalization application; or

  • USCIS committed a clerical error in preparing the certificate. [2] 

An applicant may submit a request to update his or her name on a Certificate of Naturalization based on a name change ordered by a state court with jurisdiction or due to marriage or divorce. [3] In addition, an applicant who has legally changed his or her gender may apply for a replacement certificate reflecting the new gender. [4] 

Unless there is a USCIS clerical error, regulations prohibit USCIS from making any changes to a date of birth on a Certificate of Naturalization if the applicant has completed the naturalization process and sworn to the facts of the application, including the DOB. [5] 

B. Replacement of Certificate of Citizenship

An applicant may submit an Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document (Form N-565) to request issuance of a replacement Certificate of Citizenship to correct the DOB or name if the applicant has obtained a state-issued document with a corrected DOB or name. Along with his or her application and the appropriate fee, the applicant must submit the court order or other state vital record. [6] 

An applicant may submit an Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document (Form N-565) to request issuance of a replacement Certificate of Naturalization to correct the date of birth (DOB) if the correction is justified due to USCIS error. [7] No filing fee is required when an application is filed based on a USCIS error.


1. [^] See 8 CFR 103.7.

2. [^] See 8 CFR 338.5(a).

3. [^] See INA 343(c).

4. [^] A request to change the gender on a certificate may also affect the marital status already listed on the certificate. See Adjudicator’s Field Manual (AFM) Chapter 10.22, Document Issuance Involving Status and Identity for Transgender Individuals. If the gender change results in the individual now being in a valid same-sex marriage, then the certificate must reflect his or her marital status as “married.”

5. [^] See 8 CFR 338.5(e). The regulation at 8 CFR 338.5(e) specifically provides that USCIS will not deem a request to change a DOB justified if the naturalization certificate contains the DOB provided by the applicant at the time of naturalization. 

6. [^] See Chapter 2, Certificate of Citizenship, Section B, Contents of Certificate of Citizenship, Subsection 3, Changes to Names or Dates of Birth per Court Order [12 USCIS-PM K.2(B)(3)].

7. [^] See 8 CFR 338.5(a)8 CFR 338.5(c), and 8 CFR 338.5(e). For pre-1991 judicial naturalization cases, the regulations provide that USCIS can “authorize” the court to make a change on the certificate if it is the result of clerical error. However, USCIS plays a minimal role in these cases. See 8 CFR 338.5(b) and 8 CFR 338.5(e).

INA 310(b)(4) - Naturalization authority and issuance of certificates

INA 310, 8 CFR 310 - Naturalization authority

INA 332, 8 CFR 332 - Naturalization administration, executive functions

INA 338, 8 CFR 338 - Contents and issuance of certificate of naturalization


No appendices available at this time.

Technical Update - Replacing the Term “Foreign National”

October 08, 2019

This technical update replaces all instances of the term “foreign national” with “alien” throughout the Policy Manual as used to refer to a person who meets the definition provided in INA 101(a)(3) [“any person not a citizen or national of the United States”].



POLICY ALERT - Changes to Dates of Birth and Names on Certificates of Citizenship

June 17, 2014

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is issuing policy guidance relating to changes of dates of birth and names per court orders.



POLICY ALERT - Comprehensive Citizenship and Naturalization Policy Guidance

January 07, 2013

USCIS is issuing updated and comprehensive citizenship and naturalization policy guidance in the new USCIS Policy Manual.


Current as of


Current as of