Prepare Students for the Interview and Test
This set of resources can help you prepare students for the interview and test. Many of these resources can be used either in or out of the classroom. This set of resources includes materials, lesson plans, and teaching resources specific to each section of the test. The following links will bring you to products specific to that section of the test:
Use these resources to prepare citizenship students for the naturalization interview (review of Form N-400), which also serves as the speaking test. These resources can be used to help students understand key concepts and vocabulary found on Form N-400, as well as understand and respond to commands used during the interview process. You will also find practice tests, which can be used in class or by students for at home practice.
- Understanding Key Concepts Found in Form N-400, Application for Naturalization: A Guide for Adult Citizenship Teachers (PDF, 1.18 MB)
- Understanding Commands for the Naturalization Interview for Teachers
- Vocabulary for the Naturalization Interview: Self-Test 1
- Vocabulary for the Naturalization Interview: Self-Test 2
Use these resources to prepare citizenship students for the civics portion of the naturalization test. This set of resources includes both text and audio versions of the 100 civics questions and answers, civics/ESL lesson plans, practice tests, videos and teaching materials, as well as the Declaration of the United States and U.S. Constitution.
- Civics Questions and Answers for the Naturalization Test (Arabic, Chinese, English, Korean, Spanish, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Large Print, Text-Only, 65/20 Exemption)
- Civics Flash Cards for the Naturalization Test (English (PDF, 3.25 MB), Spanish (PDF, 3.05 MB)) (cut-out versions are available)
- Preparing for Naturalization Test: A Pocket Study Guide (PDF, 411.21 KB)
- Preparing for Naturalization Test: A Pocket Study Guide (PDF, 409.31 KB) (Spanish)
- 100 Civics Questions with MP3 Audio-English Version
- 100 Civics Questions with MP3 Audio-Spanish Version
- Civics Practice Test
- Learn About the United States: Quick Civics Lessons (PDF, 2.28 MB)
- Beginning and Intermediate Level Lesson Plans
- Preparing for the Oath: U.S. History and Civics for Citizenship
- A Promise of Freedom: An Introduction to U.S. History and Civics for Immigrants
- Famous Americans on the Civics Test (PDF, 1.15 MB)
- The Citizen’s Almanac (PDF, 8.53 MB)
- Pocket-size Declaration of Independence and Constitution of the United States (PDF, 724.86 KB)
Use these resources to prepare citizenship students for the reading portion of the naturalization test. This set of resources includes the vocabulary words found on the reading test, in multiple formats, which can be used to develop a variety of reading lessons and activities. Other resources in this set offer basic strategies for teaching students reading skills for the naturalization interview and test, as well as tips on teaching the interrogative pronouns they will encounter on the reading test.
Use these resources to prepare citizenship students for the writing test portion of the naturalization test. This set of resources includes the vocabulary words found on the writing test, in multiple formats, which can be used to develop a variety of writing lessons and activities. This set also includes resources that suggest how to use dictation to prepare students for this portion of the naturalization test, in addition to other basic strategies for teaching writing skills for the naturalization interview and test.