New U.S. Citizens

Congratulations and welcome, new U.S. citizens! You are an important part of America’s history as a nation of immigrants. The naturalization ceremony is complete, and you have your naturalization certificate. What should you do after the ceremony? On this page, new citizens and community organizations will find a list of resources that serve as a guide to the next steps available for new U.S. citizens. Share your story with us on Twitter (@uscis), Instagram (/uscis), or Facebook using @USCIS #NewUSCitizen.

The resources below are for U.S. citizens. Not a U.S. citizen? For information about paths to citizenship, please visit our Citizenship Resource Center.

Register to vote

Voting in elections is a responsibility that comes with U.S. citizenship. As a U.S. citizen you have the right to vote. Exercise your rights and register to vote in your place of residence (state, territory, or District of Columbia) today. You can find additional information about voting in the Voter's Guide to Federal Elections and should consult with your local and state government about registration and election deadlines.

Update your record with the Social Security Administration

It is important to provide evidence that you are a U.S. citizen to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and create or update your SSA record. After you receive your naturalization certificate, you should submit Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card (PDF), to update your record with the SSA. You may submit your application by mail or in person at your local SSA office. Note: Please wait at least 10 days after your naturalization ceremony to update SSA records.

You can also register for an online account, request a replacement of your Social Security card, update your legal name, and learn about available benefits on the SSA website.

  1. Register for a My Social Security account. Creating your My Social Security account allows you to gain access to SSA services online. You can register on the SSA website.
  2. Apply for a new or replacement Social Security card. SSA allows online filing for certain applications. Visit to learn how to replace your Social Security card.
  3. Update your legal name. If your legal name has changed and you need to update or correct the name on your Social Security card, you can find guidance on the SSA website.
  4. Explore supplemental security income benefits. You may be eligible for supplemental income through the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program. The SSA website also has information about SSI benefits.
Apply for a U.S. passport

In addition to your Certificate of Naturalization, a U.S. passport serves as official proof of citizenship. As a U.S. citizen you are now eligible for a U.S. passport.

You will need to submit your original Certificate of Naturalization AND a photocopy when applying for your U.S. passport. Visit the Department of State website to apply for your U.S. passport.

Note: USCIS does not prohibit photocopies of certificates when providing proof of U.S. citizenship for official purposes, such as to the Department of State.

Update your record with the agency that issues driver’s licenses in your state

If you have a U.S. driver’s license or state-issued identification card (ID), you can update your record with the agency that issues driver’s licenses in your state, often called a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). To update your address or legal name on a DMV-issued ID card, contact the DMV agency in your state. You can search for your state DMV using

Engage with your community

Americans have a strong tradition of volunteerism and engagement in civic life and institutions. USCIS has a webpage with helpful links to help you find available volunteer opportunities in your community.

Note: Many of the links on this page will take you to another website. USCIS is not responsible for the content on other websites or the information provided by other organizations. Please review the guidance on external websites carefully.

Last Reviewed/Updated: