I-129S, Nonimmigrant Petition Based on Blanket L Petition

Use this form to classify noncitizen employees as L-1 nonimmigrant intracompany transferees (executives, managers, or specialized knowledge professionals) under a previously approved blanket L petition.

Forms and Document Downloads

Form Details

Edition Date

09/03/21. Starting Nov. 17, 2021, we will only accept the 09/03/21 edition. Until then, you can use the 11/08/19 edition. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions.

Dates are listed in mm/dd/yy format.

Where to File

If the noncitizen employee is outside the United States and requires a visa, they should present their Form I-129S (that you completed as their petitioning employer) to a U.S. consular officer.

If they are a Canadian citizen, they may file Form I-129S (that you completed as their petitioning employer) directly with Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at certain ports of entry and certain pre-flight inspection locations.

If they are inside the United States, they should file their Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, and Form I-129S (that you completed as their petitioning employer) at a USCIS service center according to the Form I-129 instructions.

Don’t forget to sign your form. We will reject any unsigned form.

Filing Fee

See the Special Instructions section below and the form instructions.

Checklist of Required Initial Evidence (for informational purposes only)

Please do not submit this checklist with your Form I-129S. It is an optional tool to use as you prepare your form, but does not replace statutory, regulatory, and form instruction requirements. We recommend that you review these requirements before completing and submitting your form. Do not send original documents unless specifically requested in the form instructions or applicable regulations.

If you submit any documents (copies or original documents, if requested) in a foreign language, you must include a full English translation along with a certification from the translator verifying that the translation is complete and accurate, and that they are competent to translate from the foreign language to English.

Did you provide the following?

  • A copy of the approval notice for the blanket L petition; and
  • A letter detailing the employee’s dates of employment, job duties, qualifications, and salary. The letter must also show the beneficiary worked for you for at least one continuous year out of the preceding three years in an executive, managerial, or specialized knowledge professional capacity
Special Instructions

Filing fees

We may require you to pay a $500 Fraud Prevention and Detection Fee. (See our webpage for more information about this fee.) If you must pay the $500 fee, you may also be subject to paying a $4,500 fee, mandated by Pub. L. 114-113. See the Fee Increase for Certain H-1B and L-1 Petitions (Public Law 114-113) page.

You must submit each fee with a separate check or money order. Make checks payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security.”

Extension of Stay Requests for Beneficiaries Who Were Admitted to the United States Based on an Approved Blanket L Petition

If you’re requesting an extension of stay for a beneficiary who was admitted to the United States based on an approved blanket L petition, you must file:

  • Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker;
  • Form I-129S, Nonimmigrant Petition Based on Blanket L Petition (the 11/08/19 and 09/03/21 editions only); and
  • A copy of the beneficiary’s previously approved Form I-129S.

Change of Status Request for Beneficiaries Who Are in the United States

If you’re requesting a change of status to L-1 based on an approved blanket L petition for a beneficiary who is currently in the United States, you must file:

  • Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker; and
  • Form I-129S, Nonimmigrant Petition Based on Blanket L Petition (the 11/08/19 and 09/03/21 editions only).

Evidence of Petition Approval Needed When Traveling

Along with a valid passport and visa (if applicable), the noncitizen employee seeking admission pursuant to an approved blanket petition should carry the following documents when traveling to the United States:

  • Form I-797, Notice of Action (approval notice); or
  • A copy of the approved Form I-129S.

The noncitizen employee should present this documentation to CBP when seeking entry or re-entry into the United States in the approved L-1 employment classification.

However, this does not apply if the noncitizen employee is a Canadian citizen and is filing Form I-129S directly with CBP as indicated in the “Where to File” section above.

Evidence of petition approval is not a visa and the noncitizen employee must have the appropriate nonimmigrant visa, if one is required, before applying for admission into the United States.

I-94 Validity

When an noncitizen employee with an approved Form I-129S is admitted to the United States, CBP grants them a period of stay documented on Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, or as noted in the passport or travel document.

The date on the Form I-94, or the date noted by CBP in the passport or travel document, reflects their actual approved period of admission. If the approved period of admission ends before the end of the validity period of the Form I-129S petition (as shown on the I-797 approval notice) or the validity period of the approved blanket petition (as shown on the I-797 blanket petition approval notice), one of the following must happen for you to continue to lawfully employ the noncitizen employee:

  • You must file a request for an extension of stay (using Form I-129) on behalf of the noncitizen employee;
  • You (or in some cases, the noncitizen employee) must file a request, according to applicable form instructions, for a different immigration benefit that would allow them to remain in the United States; or
  • The noncitizen employee must depart the United States and seek readmission to the U.S. according to existing law. 

If the noncitizen employee’s stay is limited as described above, any dependent family members who accompanied or followed to join the noncitizen employee must also:

  • Request an extension of stay using Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status;
  • Apply for some other immigration benefit that would allow them to remain in the United States; or
  • Depart the United States before the expiration date on their Form I-94 or the date noted in their passport or travel document and seek readmission according to existing law.
Last Reviewed/Updated: