Temporary Protected Status Designated Country: Syria

TPS Designated Through:

March 31, 2018

Re-registration period for People Who Already Have TPS:

August 1, 2016 through September 30, 2016

Registration Period for People Who are Applying for TPS for the First Time:

August 1, 2016 through January 30, 2017

Employment Authorization Document (EAD) Auto-Extended Through:

March 31, 2017

Continuous Residence Date in U.S. Since:

August 1, 2016

Continuous Physical Presence in U.S. Since:

October 1, 2016

TPS Designation Date:

March 29, 2012

TPS Redesignation Date:

August 1, 2016

Federal Register Notice Citation:

 81 FR 50533

On Aug. 1, 2016, USCIS announced the redesignation of Syria for TPS and the extension of the current TPS designation of Syria.  This allows eligible Syrian nationals (and persons without nationality who last habitually resided in Syria) to register or re-register for TPS.

When to File for TPS

If you currently have TPS under Syria’s designation and would like to keep your TPS, you must re-register during the 60-day re-registration period that runs from Aug. 1, 2016, through Sept. 30, 2016. We encourage you to register as soon as possible within the 60-day re-registration period.

If you do not currently have TPS, you may file an initial application to register for TPS under Syria’s recent redesignation. You must file your TPS package during the 180-day registration period that runs from Aug. 1, 2016, through Jan. 30, 2017. We encourage you to register as soon as possible within the 180-day initial registration period.

Go to the TPS Web Page for information about what you need to file to register.

Where to File

Send your TPS package to the appropriate address in the table below:

If you:

Then, mail your application to:

Would like to send your application by U.S. Postal Service

P.O. Box 6943
Chicago, IL 60680-6943

Would like to send your application by non-U.S. Postal Service courier

Attn: Syria TPS
131 S. Dearborn 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Automatic Employment Authorization Document (EAD) Extension

USCIS has automatically extended the validity of employment authorization documents (EADs) issued under the last extension of TPS Syria for an additional 6 months, through March 31, 2017. If you are a TPS beneficiary under Syria’s designation and your EAD is based on your TPS status with an original expiration date of Sept. 30, 2016, your EAD is covered by this automatic extension and you may continue to work.

To prove that you are eligible to continue working legally, you may show the following documentation to your employer and government agencies:

  • Your TPS-related EAD with a Sept. 30, 2016, expiration date; and
  • A copy of the Federal Register notice announcing the automatic extension.

Your employer may rely on the Federal Register notice as evidence of the continuing validity of your EAD. Go to the Documentation Employers May Accept and Temporary Protected Status Beneficiaries May Present as Evidence of Employment Eligibility page for more information.

If USCIS approves your TPS re-registration application and you paid the fee for a new EAD (or USCIS approved your fee-waiver request), you will be issued an EAD with the expiration date of March 31, 2018.

For more information on TPS eligibility requirements, what to file, and step-by-step instructions, go to the TPS page.

Last Reviewed/Updated: