Temporary Protected Status Designated Country: Nepal


TPS To Terminate On:June 24, 2019

Registration Period for People Who Already Have TPS:

May 22, 2018 through July 23, 2018

Employment Authorization Document (EAD) Auto-Extended Through:Dec. 21, 2018

Continuous Residence Date in U.S. Since:

June 24, 2015

Continuous Physical Presence in U.S. Since:

June 24, 2015

TPS Designation Date:

June 24, 2015

Federal Register Notice Citation:

81 FR 74470

When to File for TPS

In order for you to maintain Temporary Protected Status (TPS), you must re-register during the 60 day re-registration period that runs from from May 22, 2018 through July 23, 2018. We encourage you to register as soon as possible within the 60 day re-registration period.

Where to File

If you are filing for a replacement EAD for already granted TPS, re-registration of TPS, or filling a late initial application for TPS, please follow instructions below. E-filing is not currently available for TPS for Nepal. You must send your TPS package by mail or courier to the appropriate address in the table below:

If you are sending your application by:

Mail your application to:

U.S. Postal Service

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn:  TPS Nepal
P.O. Box 6943
Chicago, IL 60680-6943

A non-U.S. Postal Service courier

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn:  TPS Nepal
131 S. Dearborn – 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL  60603-5517

Automatic Employment Authorization Document (EAD) Extension

USCIS has automatically extended the validity of employment authorization documents (EADs) issued under the initial designation of TPS for Nepal for an additional 6 months, through Dec. 21, 2018. If you are a TPS beneficiary under the Nepal designation and your EAD is based on your TPS status with an original expiration date of June 24, 2018, your EAD is covered by this automatic extension.

To prove that you are authorized to continue working legally, you may show the following documentation to your employer and government agencies:

  • Your TPS-related EAD with a June 24, 2018 expiration date; and
  • A copy of the Federal Register notice announcing the automatic extension.

Your employer may rely on the Federal Register notice as evidence of the continuing validity of your EAD. For more information on providing evidence of employment eligibility, see guidance in the Federal Register notice and I-9 Central.

If USCIS approves your TPS re-registration application and you paid the fee for a new EAD (or USCIS approved your fee waiver request), you will be issued a new EAD with the expiration date of June 24, 2019.

For more information on TPS eligibility requirements, what to file, and step-by-step instructions on submitting your TPS application package, go the TPS Web page.

Other Immigration Options

You might be eligible for other immigration options listed on the Explore My Options page.

To apply for a lawful permanent status (Green Card), you must be eligible under one of the categories listed on the Green Card Eligibility Categories page. Once you find the category that may fit your situation, click on the link provided to get information on eligibility requirements, how to apply, and whether your family members can also apply with you.

Note on Seeking Asylum: Being granted and maintaining TPS status until a reasonable period before the filing of the asylum application is considered an extraordinary circumstance for the purposes of the one year filing deadline. In other words, having TPS status “stops the clock” on the requirement to file for asylum within one year of arriving in the United States, if the one-year clock has not already expired. See 8 CFR 208.4(a)(5)(iv).

Avoid Scams

Please be aware that some unauthorized practitioners may try to take advantage of you by claiming they can file TPS forms. These same individuals may ask that you pay them to file such forms. We want to ensure that all potential TPS applicants know how to obtain legitimate, accurate legal advice and assistance. A list of accredited representatives and free or low-cost legal providers is available on the USCIS website on the finding legal advice web page.

We don’t want you to become a victim of an immigration scam. If you need legal advice on immigration matters, make sure the person helping you is authorized to give legal advice. Only an attorney or an accredited representative working for a Department of Justice (DOJ) recognized organization can give you legal advice. Visit the Avoid Scams page for information and resources.


Last Reviewed/Updated: